Thursday, March 17, 2011

FAMILY!!

We have family in town.... some of my favorite cousins from Mama's side. It is interesting and fun to see them. Sad though, they came to bury their father's ashes... he was a neat man: kind, smart, funny, devoted to his family, and loving. He was bigger than life when I was younger.

They used to come into town, Harry and his wife Ingrid and all three boys, and stay, usually for a week, right down the island. Those were some of my favorite times as a girl. They were often coming from overseas... Harry worked for the State Department and Ingrid was from Denmark. The boys were always kind to me... as the youngest by about 5 years I could often be a pest. Their oldest was my favorite... they were all kid but he was always special to me. He always made sure to include me and make me a part of things, even when he was a teen and probably could have done without me tagging along. At that point I was in single digits and I am pretty sure I was a huge pest.

When I hit my teen years I spent hours figuring out how we could get married.. after all, he was my second cousin once removed so it wasn't like it was illegal or anything. He was tall, handsome and kind... three things that are of high priority when you are 12. Or any age for that matter. Understanding that handsome is a matter of perspective is important here.

Eric is still kind. Still tall and handsome. I don't have a crush on him anymore, but I do hold him in high esteem. All the boys actually... They are fantastic people, kind and understanding, smart and funny. Special. And they are good at giving you their full attention, making you feel good about yourself.

I don't get to see them often but every time I do I remember how much fun we had, and still have, together. They are all married - to women not their second cousin once removed - and have carried their good qualities with them, passing them on to yet another generation. Their visit is short, one only in town for a day and the rest leaving tomorrow, but we will squeeze every minute of family joy that we can.

Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment