Monday, October 18, 2010

wow - I got nothing but serious!

I talked to a friend today - she almost died this weekend... almost died because someone spiked her drink with what was probably a very large dose of GHB. What the heck!

She was out for drinks, with her husband, at a popular night spot. No sooner did her husband go to the bathroom and she ordered a glass of wine..... let's just say that by the time he came out of the bathroom she was on the ground passed out and vomiting. She definitely could have died.

This is the kind of thing that is scary. Just plain old frightening. This is why I can watch a scary movie without batting an eyelash - what happens in the "real" world is so much worse. So, so much worse.

I had to stop and ponder. I had to think of this person maybe not existing anymore except in our memories. This young, vital woman who loves to help others, has a dog and a husband that she loves more than life itself, has a life and friends and people she is important to.... she could have died. All because some idiot wanted sex.

I like sex, don't get me wrong, but in the big scheme of things I can definitely go without..... particularly if it meant risking someone's life.

What kind of person does that? Drugs a drink to get someone so blotto that they can't consent or say no? Is that really sex? I always thought sex took two, unless one was flying solo.... does sex like this even count?

This so saddens me, angers me, makes me rail against the system that makes it so hard to track down predators like this....
quite frankly, it makes me sick.

I don't know what we can do to make this different but I am pondering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment