Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Racism....

Racism has been a political thorn in the side of the United States basically since our inception. Georgia was a penal colony, we utilized indentured servants, and we had slaves. Of course, most people like to think that slavery is the province of the US... it isn't there were slaves all over Europe and in the Caribbean Islands... many had slaves far longer than we did but people refuse to remember that. I personally think that the reason for this is that so many people, in our own country, that want us to be the bad guy.....

Anyway, racism is, according to Webster:

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
Function: noun
Date: 1933
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
— rac·ist \-sist also -shist\ noun or adjective

(Yes, I copied and pasted the definition.)

Now, that is not what I believe. I believe that anyone, regardless of race, can work hard to achieve success. pay special attention to the words "work hard to achieve success." Those are important words. People who choose to work hard are not people who say "I did not get promoted because of my race", they say "he/she worked harder and has more experience, that is why they were promoted over me." People who work hard don't say "they should hire me because I am white/black" they say "they should hire me because I will work hard".

The people I don't like, regardless of the color of their skin, are the ones that stand around with their hands out and blame their lack of success and happiness on other people or on their race.

My family always had housekeepers. We didn't call them maids because they did so much more than that - to call them a maid would have been a disservice to them and the job they did. Were they women of color? Yes. Did I treat them differently because of that? Heck no - I would have been punished and there was no reason. with one exception they were all members of the family. the one exception - well, she stole from my Mama so no, I didn't like or respect her - it was because she was a thief, not because she wasn't white.

So now, politically speaking, we have a black president in office. I didn't vote for him... not because he was black, but because I didn't think he could or would do a good job. He hasn't and he isn't but not because he is black... because he isn't prepared, he doesn't know how to lead, and his decisions are influenced by all kinds of other idiots whose race makes absolutely no difference.

I don't think the president is hard working.... but I do think he is a racist. He has surrounded himself with sycophants... and when everyone is telling you how right you are it is kind of hard to see that you are wrong. his wife is busy today, giving the opening speech at the NAACP National Convention - decrying Tea Party Members as racist - I'm pretty sure this is a surprise to the Tea Party members that aren't white. She can "get away" with it because she is black. If a white person were to say that all blacks were violent based on the threatening behavior of the Black panthers - well, guess what would happen?

When I disagree with something the president says or does, I have the right to voice it without being accused of being a racist. People seem to forget that. We all need to go a step further in our quest for a better country - reward the elected officials who truly represent their constituencies - whether they be white, black, native America, whatever - by re-electing them and punish those who do not represent their constituencies.

Don't let race play a part in your choice... that is what got us here. Let the abilities, choices, doctrines, beliefs, and actions of people play a part in your choices - not their race.

i guess that's all I've got on this for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment